Around Otavalo

 Our first view of Otavalo was driving past to find our hotel in Ibarra. On Thursday we had a chance to get inside and around the lake. We visited Elder Grimmer in San Pablo on the far side of the lake. Their apartment was not so great. It was at the top of a building and was really a built-out shack. But the view was delightful.


We drove around to the next apartment, not too far away. As we were standing waiting for our missionaries, a woman came walking down the street. She greeted us with, "I was just ministering with my companion." It was such a pleasant surprise. Then she saw our tags and announced, "I have to feed the missionaries lunch today!" and ran away.


Also on this street the doors seem to be a little small. I just think the roads and sidewalks were built after the structures. In any case, it is a bit of Gulliver's Travels for me.


We finally made it to the Plaza de los Ponchos! It was rainy, but I still loved everything I saw. Most booths have been in families for many years. They love to sell to missionaries.




We enjoyed meeting the missionaries who live near the plaza. 


Here is a sample of an embroidery shop that makes traditional clothing for Otavalo. I absolutely love their embroidered tops and bands. They even wrap their braids in thread.


Finally, I had to do some laundry. Katie bought me this wonderful Scrubba bag that I use in hotels. It's great for small batches of clothes. You just need something to hang them on to dry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

General Conference

A Week at the Temple

Our new favorite place