Finally, Otavalo

 After meeting missionaries from Otavalo 4+ years ago in Guayaquil, I have wanted to visit. Members call it Utahvalo because there are so many members. They are known for crafting in alpaca and llama wool.


When I found this little family, they were sweeping up the classroom after Primary. After I asked for a picture, the girls lined up to show me their dresses. Fabulous!


About 30 minutes away was another building, but the same gorgeous women. When you see them, you will agree that they have, "Virtue emanating from their countenances."


Elder Steck from Shushufindi was now in this area, just across the street from the above scene. President Román allows them to dress traditionally for sacrament meetings. On the driveway to their apartment was this little guy.


In Peguche, we were waiting for the missionaries and found a craft shop. I couldn't believe how beautiful everything was.


The proprietor showed me the techniques they use and how they keep patterns in their heads.


She showed me the difference between alpaca and llama wool and the scratchiness is quite pronounced.


One of our missionaries bought this cute pillow cover. You can't really see here, but the braids are 3-D. Both the men and women allow their hair to grow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

General Conference

A Week at the Temple

Our new favorite place